Sunday, August 15, 2010

Washington DC...Part 1

n Friday Aug. 6 Steve got home from Dallas, Texas for the LAST TIME... HOORAY!!!
However, on Sunday at Aug. 8, Steve left for Washington DC for 2 weeks...BOO!!!
Well sort of...

This time I get to go...HOORAY!!!

I flew in on Wednesday afternoon.  That night we went downtown and walked around. 
But we accidently deleted the few pictures that we had from that night so when we go to downtown tomorrow we will be taking remakes of those same pictures.

Thursday, August 12
Steve got up and went to work as normal.  I of course slept in and then joined him for lunch. 
Later that evening we had plans to go to the Washington DC Temple with one of
 his co-workers.

It took us a little longer to get there because it was raining really hard and everyother street light that we passed was out of power and had policemen directing traffic.

We finally get to the temple and we see, "Temple Closed".
WHAT?!?!
You have to be kidding... No they weren't...The Temple was closed, because they had no power.
That made sense because of the mess that we drove through.

We drove in to the Visitors Center, parked, and walked around the temple anyway.

Absolutely Gorgeous Building... But if you look... there are NO WINDOWS! 
Never noticed it before but now it really makes sense why they would have to close.

Even though we couldn't go in, we could still feel the special spirit that always is always present in and around the Temple.  No matter where you are in the world, you can tell it is the House of the Lord.  This is a link to FAQ's about temples, Click here




The reflecting pond

NO POWER!!


Then we went to the Marines Monument of Iwo Jima
Magnificent!

Friday, August 13

Slept in, again, ;)
Met Steve for lunch
Relaxed and read in the room... WONDERFUL!

We then went to Georgetown with Steve's co-workers for dinner and had a GREAT time,
but we didn't take the camera so there are no pictures, Sorry.

What's to come...
Saturday, downtown DC with cousins Jed and Allyson,
Sunday, American History Museum, Art and Portrait Museum, and Arrlington Cemetery
Monday, Washington Monument, Potbelly's, and whatever else we can squeeze in.





3 comments:

  1. After visiting the Iwo Jima Memorial, you now need to read Flags of Our Fathers.

    Looks like a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! Both in meaning and in photography skills :) I'm thinking I might remember hearing that the rock covering on that temple is very thin in some areas and lets light in through the rock, rather than glass windows. . . I'll have to do some research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so CRAZY...a few things. First of all, we were in DC from August 13th-21st. And I had no idea Jed & Allyson were your cousins! Jed is a really good friend of mine (Jamie's) from high school. In fact, when I mentioned on facebook that we were going to DC, he mentioned he'd be there too...just didn't know it would be with you guys. Small world!

    ReplyDelete